Wednesday, November 19, 2008

What's Cookin' Wednesday

My first What's Cookin' Wednesday post isn't some super-duper recipe that I've spent hours in the kitchen perfecting. However, it's a staple in our home...a breakfast loved by all three of us. Also, since Jim's diagnosis of diabetes in August it's a breakfast I've made weekly because with a couple simple tweaks it's an absolutely acceptable diabetic breakfast.Ok, so I don't usually make THAT many at one time! But I'm going to start. Hopefully, that will be enough for all of us for about three breakfasts through the week. I put the extras in the freezer so that a simple "zap" in the microwave makes them butter and syrup ready.

Because we have to monitor carbs intake for Jim, I searched my local WallyWorld's grocery shelves for the best bang for our buck. I found that the generic (Great Value) brand only has 9 carbs per 4" pancake. I use the "fluffy" version because it has fewer carbs than the "buttermilk" version. We also switched to sugar-free syrup and use the generic brand of that, too. We like it just as well as the full-sugar version. Finding out there was pretty much no difference in taste between the two syrups was a great surprise!

Jim LOVES pancakes, so being able to eat them makes being a diabetic not such a pain in the rump!

That's what's cookin'!

No comments: