Wednesday, December 3, 2008

What's Cookin' Wednesday

Here's my Vidalia Onion Casserole recipe without the picture. I apologized in my previous post for the absence of the photo. Who knew we'd get so carried away on Thanksgiving Day I'd forget to snap a picture??? :)


Vidalia Onion Casserole:


2 large onions, Vidalia or purple, cut in medium sized pieces

1/2 cup butter

1 8oz carton sour cream

1/2 teaspoon dill weed

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt

8oz shredded cheddar cheese

15oz can cream style corn

1/3 cup milk

1 box Jiffy size cornbread mix

1 egg, slightly beaten

4 drops hot sauce (or more to suit your taste)


Melt butter in microwave and pour over onions in large bowl. Stir in sour cream, dill, salt, and half of cheese.

In a separate bowl mix corn, milk, cornbread mix, egg, and hot sauce.

Pour corn mixture into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Spread onion mixture over top and top with rest of shredded cheese. Bake at 425 degrees for 40 minutes.

DO NOT let the fact that this is an "onion casserole" scare you or others away who do not like the strong taste of onions. You won't find that strong taste in this dish. The sweetness of the onions comes out. This is one of the yummiest dishes I have ever come across!!! Please try it and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Kimmon said...

sorry there are no lines between ingredients...i've double spaced my blog entry. i guess the "space fairy" has stolen all my double spaces!

sorry, sorry, sorry!