Friday, December 5, 2008

Free Tip Friday

So have you ever heard of OAMC? That is, Once A Month Cooking. I've tried and tried to get myself completely there, but have never made it. However, one thing that I've done ever since Jake was a baby is double-up on certain meals.

For example...when you're making something for dinner that can be easily frozen, then make a double batch. Two meatloaves instead of one, two batches of sloppy joes, twice the servings of baked chicken breasts, twice the servings of spaghetti sauce and/or meatballs, etc, etc, etc. It's really just as easy to mix up two meatloaves and bake the at the same time. Some folks freeze the second before baking, but I say why wait? That way you can put the baked, frozen one into the fridge the night before to thaw, then reheat in the microwave.

Anyway, you get the idea I'm going for. It's the same theory as OAMC, but not nearly to the same extent. You're still saving time, energy, and mess clean-up. I love knowing I have pre-cooked meals in my freezer.

There are TONS of websites out there about OAMC and "freezer cooking". All are based on the same info. It's a great thing to keep in mind when you find chicken or beef or any other meat on sale at the grocery store. Of course, you'd get very tired of the same dish every night for a week, but if you do the "cook one and freeze one" method, you're keeping that extra food from going to waste and saving yourself time in the kitchen later on.

Just call me a OAMC wanna-be! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love OAMC! I have actually done this for the past four or five years. I give demonstrations and talk to MOPS groups about OAMC a few times a year. :) Another step is to factor in a crockpot; when you get home with a bag of chicken (the chicken breasts)place the entire bag amount of chicken into the crockpot and let it cook. Then when it's done and cooled chop it up, separate into freezer bags and when you want to make soup, casseroles, stir fry and such the meal can be put together and ready to eat in less than 30 minutes. :)