Monday, July 28, 2008

I can cook...Really!!!

As I was up to my elbows in flour this afternoon making chicken and dumplings, I remembered the first meal I ever cooked for Jim.

Just to fill you in on how we became a couple.....we were set up on a blind date by a mutual friend. Prior to seeing each other face to face we spoke on the phone every night for a week - for at least 2-3 hours per night. Then we finally met and had been going out for a few days or a week when the following occurred........

Jim had just started a new job as a car salesman and was having a stressful beginning. One evening I was going to cook supper for us so we could have an evening in. In all our conversations I learned Jim loved roast and potatoes. So, like my momma tought me, I put the roast and potatoes in the crock pot that morning. That evening Jim arrived as planned. As soon as I opened the door I new it'd been a baaaad day. We immediately sat on the sofa and started talking. (Realize at this point my small 2 bedroom apartment HAD to have been full of the aroma of the cooking roast.) We continued to talk....and talk...and talk...and talk. I never mentioned the meal because we were talking - and he'd had a really bad day so I didn't want to keep him from venting. He never mentioned the meal ( I found out YEARS later) because this was the first time I cooked for him, and he had NO IDEA if I could cook or not. He didn't want to hurt my feelings by asking about it and then me have to tell him I burned it or something.

This is a story we have laughed about for all of our 14 1/2 years of marriage.

Yep, apparently the fact that I withheld food from him was not a determent. About 1 week after this event I got a nice shiny engagement ring. :)

And just so you know...we had the roast and potatoes the very next night. EVERYONE knows roast is better as leftovers!!

No comments: