Sunday, December 14, 2008

Granny's Potato Candy



My husband touched my heart in a way today that I really can't put into words...but I'm gonna try. Here's the story...


My Granny made THE best candy. Every Christmas I knew I'd be getting her awesome Potato Candy. Every Christmas I expected, and every Christmas I got it. Heaven!


Well, this Christmas my candymaker is in Heaven. My Granny passed away September 7th, the day after my birthday. The other evening as Jim and I were perusing my Christmas goodie recipes I realized I wouldn't be getting any of Granny's Potato Candy this year...or any other year. I also am pretty sure I didn't get Granny's recipe when we were going thru her stuff. I teared up, but went on about my business of recipe searching.


This afternoon following lunch Jim and Jake headed out to my in-law's house to shoot Jim's new pistol he bought yesterday. Merry Christmas to him!) When they got back home a while later Jim was carrying this big, white, plastic-wrapped burrito-looking thing. Then he handed it to me...it was an unsliced roll of Potato Candy! He'd looked up the recipe online and gave it to his mom. He had her make me Granny's Potato Candy. Needless to say, I wept. and wept. and wept. That roll of candy was probably the best gift he could have given me. I simply can not put into words how my heart felt as I sliced that candy, and tasted it, and thought of Granny and of how much my husband loves me.


Merry Christmas to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome story. What a man!!
Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately, my laptop would also follow me to a hotel and conversations would revolve around the kiddos too.

Anonymous said...

I've got a good brother, don't I? He told me about this and I was pretty impressed that he could be so sweet. Lucky you....never happened that way growing up! ;) I'm glad you're my sis, too. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I want a man like that. Just keep praying God sends him my way. He really blessed you with a God fearing and loving husband and father for Jake.